LA Home Staging Tips
Effectively staging a Los Angeles home can drastically impact its selling prospects, potentially leading to quicker sales and increased offers. This comprehensive guide will delve into 18 practical home staging tips designed to speed up the sale of your Los Angeles property.
On This Page
- LA Home Staging Tips
- 1. Embrace Symmetry in the Living Room
- 2. Declutter and Modernize Your Kitchen
- 3. Create a Neutral Atmosphere in the Bedrooms
- 4. Set the Stage in the Dining Room
- 5. Make Your Bathroom Shine
- 6. Focus on Walls, Windows, and Lighting
- 7. Optimize Every Space
- 8. Consider Professional Cleaning
- 9. Boost Curb Appeal
- 10. Don’t Forget Your Outdoor Living Space
- 11. Remove Signs of Pets
- 12. Declutter Throughout the House
- 13. Neutralize Wall Colors
- 14. Refresh Your Cabinets
- 15. Display Beautiful Images
- 16. Use Mirrors to Enhance Light
- 17. Highlight Storage Space
- 18. Set a Welcoming Scene on the Day of Showing
1. Embrace "Balance" in Home Staging & Interior Design: A sense of visual equilibrium and harmony achieved through arrangement, scale, color distribution, or symmetry, creating a pleasing and comfortable composition. The Importance of Balance In Home Staging - Why It's Something to Consider Balance is a ke... More in the Living Room
Symmetry is pleasing to the eye, creating an atmosphere of Visual Weight in Home Staging & Interior Design: The perceived heaviness or lightness of objects and elements within a space, influencing balance and visual interest. The Importance of Visual Weight in Home Staging - Why it's Something to Consider Visual Weight in home staging refers to the perc... More and Symmetry and Balance in Home Staging & Interior Design: Creating a sense of order and visual harmony in a space through balanced furniture placement and repetition of design elements. The Importance of Symmetry and Balance in Home Staging - Why it's Something to Consider Symmetry and Balance are... More. One of the best places to implement this principle is in your living room. Aim for a balanced distribution of Inventory in Home Staging & Interior Design: The collection of furniture, accessories, and décor owned by a staging company, used to stage different properties and create diverse looks. The Importance of Inventory Management in Home Staging - Why it's Something to Consider Inventory management ... More. You might consider:
- Using pairs of matching lamps to frame your couch, casting a soft and inviting light while enhancing the symmetrical "Aesthetic" in Home Staging & Interior Design: The overall feeling or vibe of a space, encompassing the chosen style, color palette, textures, and furniture, and evoking a specific mood or impression. The Importance of Aesthetic In Home Staging - Why It's Something to Consider Aesthetic, encompa... More.
- Making your fireplace a "Focal Point" in Home Staging & Interior Design: A visual element that draws attention and sets the tone for a space, like a fireplace, artwork, or architectural feature. Effective staging uses focal points strategically. The Importance of Focal Point in Home Staging - Why It's Something to Cons... More by ensuring it’s clean and accented by matching decor on the mantle.
- Streamlining your furniture to give the room a spacious feel. Less is more—remove unnecessary pieces to avoid a cramped appearance.
2. "Decluttering" in Home Staging & Interior Design: Removing unnecessary items from a space to create a sense of order, spaciousness, and organization, making it appear larger and more appealing to buyers. The Importance of Decluttering in Home Staging - Why it's Something to Consider Decluttering... More and Modernize Your Kitchen
The kitchen is the heart of the home and can be a major selling point. It’s vital to present it as a clean, functional space where potential buyers can imagine preparing meals and entertaining guests.
- Clear your countertops of appliances and miscellaneous items, revealing as much usable space as possible.
- Consider updating cabinets with a fresh coat of paint or new hardware for a modern look.
- Thoroughly clean your appliances or consider upgrading them, if necessary. Stainless steel appliances can give your kitchen a sleek, contemporary appearance.
3. Create a Neutral Atmosphere in the Bedrooms
Bedrooms should evoke a sense of relaxation and tranquility. Personal items and clutter can distract from this, so aim for a neutral, welcoming atmosphere.
- Clean out your closets to make them appear larger. One trick is to pack away off-season clothes, leaving only currently wearable items neatly arranged.
- Uniform wooden hangers can replace mismatched ones, providing a polished look to your closets.
- If you have extra bedrooms, consider staging them for different purposes, such as a home office or a craft room. This helps potential buyers envision the versatility of your home.
4. Set the Stage in the Dining Room
A well-staged dining room can help potential buyers envision hosting friends and family for meals. Aim for an inviting blend of formality and casual "Ergonomics" in Home Staging & Interior Design: Designing spaces for comfort, safety, and efficiency, considering furniture placement, traffic flow, and accessibility for different users. The Importance of Ergonomics in Home Staging - Why It's Something to Consider Ergonomics is an important con... More.
- Showcase a beautiful table setting, including plates, silverware, glasses, and a centerpiece. This helps buyers visualize hosting their own dinner parties in the space.
- Enhance the table with a stylish runner and include a few decorative elements for a touch of Style in Home Staging & Interior Design: The overall aesthetic or design language chosen for a space, influencing furniture selection, décor, color palette, and textures. The Importance of Style in Home Staging - Why it's Something to Consider The Style chosen in home staging sets the overall t... More. The aim is to strike a balance that suggests both elegant dinners and casual brunches.
5. Make Your Bathroom Shine
Bathrooms should be impeccably clean and free from personal items. A clean, minimal bathroom allows buyers to imagine their own belongings in the space.
- To create a luxury spa look, use fluffy white towels, add a new shower curtain, and display upscale soap dispensers and bath products.
- Ensure that all Materiality in Home Staging & Interior Design: The selection and combination of materials used in a space, like wood, metal, glass, fabric, and stone. In staging and design, it influences the overall aesthetic, texture, and tactile experience, impacting the mood and functionality of the space. T... More, including the bathtub, sinks, and toilet, are spotless.
- Consider minor updates, such as painting over outdated tiles or replacing an old toilet or fixtures.
6. Focus on Walls, Windows, and Lighting
The walls, windows, and lighting in your home significantly impact its overall feel. Light and bright spaces appear larger and more inviting, so pay special attention to these areas.
- If you have rooms painted in dark or bold colors, consider repainting them in light, neutral tones.
- Repair any damage to your walls, such as nicks and holes, and touch them up with paint.
- Thoroughly clean your windows inside and out. If necessary, hire a professional window cleaner to ensure the best results.
7. Optimize Every Space
Every inch of your home can contribute to its overall appeal. Transform underused areas into functional spaces, Walk-Through in Home Staging & Interior Design: A tour of a staged property with a potential buyer, highlighting key features and answering questions. The Importance of a Walk-Through in Home Staging - Why it's Something to Consider A Walk-Through is a critical step in the home staging process, ... More potential buyers the home’s full potential.
- If you have an alcove or a nook under the stairs, consider turning it into a cozy reading spot or mini office.
- Swap out dim bulbs for higher-wattage ones to brighten rooms.
- Ensure all doors, drawers, and cabinets open and close smoothly.
8. Consider Professional Property Prep in Home Staging & Interior Design: Necessary repairs, cleaning, and maintenance tasks before staging to ensure the property is in its best condition for potential buyers. Proper preparation sets the stage for effective staging. The Importance of Property Prep in Home Staging - Why ... More
While you can certainly clean your home yourself, consider hiring a professional cleaning service for a thorough deep clean. This can help your home truly shine and allow you to focus on other staging tasks.
9. Boost "Appeal" in Home Staging & Interior Design: The overall attractiveness and desirability of a property to potential buyers, influenced by factors like curb appeal, layout, functionality, and staging. The Importance of Appeal In Home Staging - Why It's Something to Consider Appeal, in the context ... More
The exterior of your home is the "Curb Appeal" in Home Staging & Interior Design: The first impression a property makes from the street, influencing buyer interest and perceived value. It includes landscaping, exterior condition, paint, lighting, and overall presentation. The Importance of Curb Appeal In Home Staging - Why It's... More buyers will have, so make it count.
- A fresh coat of paint on your front door and porch can make your home seem more welcoming.
- Enhance your garden or patio with colorful flowers in attractive pots and planter beds.
- Ensure all outdoor lights are functioning and free of cobwebs and insects to create a warm, inviting ambiance at night.
10. Don’t Forget Your Outdoor Living Space
In sunny Los Angeles, outdoor living spaces are a significant selling point. Make sure your patio or deck is as inviting as the interior of your home.
- Stage your patio with comfortable, stylish furniture, and tasteful decor. Show potential buyers how they can enjoy the outdoors while still having the comforts of a living room.
- Consider adding outdoor recreational items like a hammock or a bocce ball court to highlight the potential for outdoor fun.
11. Remove Signs of Pets
While pets are beloved members of many families, not all potential buyers will feel the same. It’s best to remove signs of pets during home showings.
- Professionally clean any pet stains from carpets and rugs.
- Store pet beds, toys, and food bowls out of sight.
- If possible, arrange for pets to be elsewhere during home showings.
12. Declutter Throughout the House
A clutter-free home appears larger, more relaxing, and more appealing to potential buyers. Remove personal items and unnecessary decorations to help buyers envision their own items in the space.
13. "Depersonalize" in Home Staging & Interior Design: Removing personal items and replacing them with decorative elements that appeal to a wider audience, minimizing distractions and allowing buyers to connect with the space's potential. The Importance of Depersonalizing in Home Staging - Why It's ... More Wall Colors
While you might love your brightly colored or dark walls, they might not appeal to all buyers. Painting your walls in Neutral Palette in Home Staging & Interior Design: A color scheme primarily composed of neutral tones like white, gray, beige, and black. In staging, a neutral palette creates a versatile canvas that allows buyers to envision their own décor and personalizes the space. The Importance of a Neutr... More can help potential buyers visualize their own decor in the home.
14. Refresh Your Cabinets
Cabinets take up a significant amount of visual space in kitchens and bathrooms. Giving them a facelift can make these rooms look updated and well-maintained.
- Consider painting your cabinets a modern color, such as a soft gray or crisp white.
- If painting isn’t necessary, update the cabinet hardware for a quick refresh.
15. Display Beautiful Images
One creative staging trick is to have a slideshow of beautiful, welcoming images playing on your television. This can make your home feel inviting and give buyers a positive Staging Psychology in Home Staging & Interior Design: Understanding the psychological impact of space on potential buyers and utilizing staging techniques to evoke positive emotions. The Importance of Staging Psychology in Home Staging - Why it's Something to Consider Staging Psychology involves... More to the space.
16. Use Mirrors to Enhance Light
Mirrors can dramatically increase the perception of space and light in a room, particularly in narrow hallways or dark corners.
- Place a mirror opposite a window to reflect natural light.
- Consider large, stylish mirrors as a decorative element in living spaces.
17. Highlight Storage Space
Storage space is a big selling point for many buyers. Show off your home’s storage capabilities by removing non-essential items from closets, basements, and attics.
18. Set a Welcoming Scene on the Day of Showing
On the day of the showing, set the stage for a warm welcome.
- Ensure your home smells clean and fresh. Consider baking cookies to fill your home with a comforting aroma.
- Add a seasonal touch, like a vase of fresh-cut flowers in spring or a bowl of pumpkins in the fall.
By spending time and effort on staging, you can showcase your home in its best light, helping prospective buyers envision their life in the space. This can lead to a faster sale and potentially a higher selling price. Happy staging!